Thursday, July 17, 2008

What happened to God?

Where is God my maker,
who giveth songs
in the night....
Job 35:10

Ok..... so I had been church hopping for a couple of years, well probably more like 3. Anyhoo... something kept me from making that commitment to just 1 church. I had narrowed it down to 2, but something just kept bugging me. I would go & visit for a few Sunday's in a row, then not for a few months & then I would go to the other church & same thing.... just something was missing. Don't get me wrong... I loved the upbeat, up tempo music & the messages from the pulpit, but still... in my heart, something wasn't all there. Where was God?
So now you are like.... what is she talking about.... in church & asking where God is?!!! I know, bizarre, but let me explain. So, while I loved the worship music, it was about 99% geared toward Jesus. And the prayers.... 99% geared toward Jesus.... and the sermon, well that was about a 20/80 split. 20% God, 80% Jesus. Ok, so now you say...where is this headed. Hang on just another few lines & I will get to that.
The churches that I have belonged to & have gone to have been Oneness. They believe that Jesus & God are the same person. Well, for a lot of years I went with that. Then, my heart started to be pricked. When I would read my scriptures, Jesus would often mention His FATHER. Now, if Jesus & God were IN the same body, same person.... why would Jesus refer to His FATHER? Why wouldn't he just say....me or I?
Another thing that really bothered me...... God says:
"Thou shalt have NO other God's before me"
So, when everything is always prayed to Jesus & praising & worshiping Jesus... isn't that having or putting Jesus ahead of God?
And even the Lord's Prayer says..... "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name!......."
And Jesus says.....Praying to the Father...... ask these things in my name.
So, what bothered me was that I could not make Jesus my God. He was my Father's Son. He paid a beautiful, sacrificial price for me, the atonement. But, in the scripture's he referred to himself as the Son. Not the "God". He is referred to as a part of the God head.... but not the ONLY part of the God head.
Ok.... so anyways..... when the elder's came over & they were talking to us (discussion), they were talking about Heavenly Father & Jesus. Then I asked them.... what do you guys (meaning LDS's) believe about Father & Son? Then they told me. It just clicked!!!! It just made sense. It still makes sense!!!!
So, just about every time the elder's came to our house for a visit, Donna got a call or an email. The main thing that I keep saying to her (and still say to her) is...."it just makes sense".
Really, there is nothing about LDS thinking that I/we have a problem with. Everything seems to line up with my thinking. With 'our' thinking.
I told the elder's...... "I think I was born Mormon & just didn't know it." I told them that....."This is the way we live.....This is the way we think..." The elder's laughed & said that we are what they call "dry Mormon's"..... we all laughed. What a compliment!!! :0)
So, you see, now I am getting down to IT..... I have found God!!! I have found my Father God (as I always referred to Him to my friends, family & in prayer). I have found My HEAVENLY FATHER. And of all places, in a reverent, quiet Mormon church.
I love you my friends, my new found family!!!
Be blessed.
Til next blog......Cheryl

No comments: