Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Mirror Story!!!!!


Well, it has been too long since I have been on here blogging Our Journey. More like, my journey. So, I have to tell you all about my mirror story.

So, we were in the early stages of investigating the church & I was still a lot confused about just what was the big deal about Mormon's. I was absolutely sure there had to be some truth to all the terrible things I had been taught by my Spiritual leaders.

David & the boy's were just flying along in all of our lessons. While everything made sense to me, I was positive there had to be something weird getting ready to happen. Somebody was going to tell me of some bizarre rules & regulations AFTER I got involved in the church.
So, I go to Donna's house one night. I knock on her door & she opens up to me. I say..... "OK! Tell me all the weird stuff right now. I want to know everything bizarre there is to know about your church. I don't want to get baptized & become a member of this church & have someone pull out some weird, bizarre thing that I am going to have to do or change. So, tell me all of it RIGHT NOW!!!"
Then Donna says....."Cheryl, I have told you everything. There is NOTHING weird or bizarre. You know it all."
Still not convinced I say...."Ok....then tell me about the Holiness Standards. I have to know everything NOW.... all the rules, everything right now!!! Cuz this is like a marriage thing to me. I take this joining the church thing really serious. The last church I left, that I was a member of (which had been more than 13 years ago) almost killed me. I was in counseling for 18 months. On all kinds of drugs. Very depressed & suicidal. It was like a divorce."
Donna says...."Hold on." She goes to the back of her house & comes out with this little book called For the Strength of Youth. She says to me...."We give this to our youth about the ages of 13 - 18. Everything you need to know is in here. The standards that pertain to the youth pertain to everyone." I say...Ok. I take my little book & leave.
Well..... I live like 3 minutes from Donna. And on the way home I was praying. Cuz the Elder's told us to pray and ask God if this church is true. If Joseph Smith is the true prophet of our Heavenly Father. So.... I was praying and asking Father God..... is this true. Is what I am being taught of you. I told Father that I needed a sign. Not a beat around the bush kinda sign cuz I don't get stuff a lot of the times. And not that still small voice kind of sign, cuz I don't hear to good. I told Father God to slap me upside the head with a sign from Him. Yeah I know.....Doubting Thomas. Always needing a sign, that is me. :)
Anyhoo..... so I come home & sit in my rocking chair, in the corner of the living room & start reading this little book. It is pretty interesting. I start reading some of the sections out loud to David & the boys. Especially the Sexual Purity stuff.
I was like David, this is what we teach our boys. Then it wasn't too long & David & the boys went to bed. So...... here I am reading this little book & I get to page 40, last paragraph.....
"Be humble and willing to listen to the whisperings of the Spirit."
Then I looked straight ahead. I looked straight across the room & BAM!!!!! there it was!!!!
Right there. Father God slapped me right in the face!!!!
Right in front of me, written on my mirror..... in the 4 corners.... starting at upper left & moving clockwise.........
"Be silent and hear the whisper of God"
Almost word for word!!!!!! Written right there on my mirror!!!!!
Ok, so you say...... So what?!!!!
Here is the so what........That has been written on my mirror for at least 3 years (David & I finally figured out how long it has been there)!!!!!!! Three years + ago I read that quote.... loved it..... and wrote it on my mirror. Not read it out of any LDS book..... cuz I would NEVER had read one back then.
The other quote I have in the center of my mirror is..........
"Inhale God's Spirit, Exhale God's Love"
So.....I was like WOW!!!! I was so excited & it was like 10:15 or 10:20 pm, I had to call Donna. I had to tell her about my mirror!!! I was so excited I was almost screaming my story to her!!!!
That was such a confirmation of which direction Heavenly Father wanted me.... our family.... to go.
So, now you know....... My Mirror Story.


3 comments:

Justin said...

I love your committment to joining the church. It really is a big deal and very much like a marriage. Now you'll have to prepare for the temple!

Haylee said...

I love this story! When you told it to me in person I just got the biggest goosebumps! That is the Spirit testifying in the perfect way just for YOU! Isn't amazing how God knows us individually and what we need personally?! Its amazing!!! Thanks for checking out our blog!

Johnson Fam said...

I love the HART family....I love Cherly Hart. For listening and being patient and for David for leading his family.......in righteousness. Josh and Brian you guys have awesome parents.