
Yesterday, 7-5-08, was baptism day. What a wonderful day indeed!!!
I didn't realize how "precise" & orderly dunking a person was.....that is, until I went under 5 times!!!! :)
It figures.....the one in our family, afraid of the water......5 times. Jordan would dunk me.....I would pop back up.....before I was fully immersed. See, it is that 'survival' instinct in me. :D
Poor Jordan. He really got to practice his skills on me. That is a big....FOR SURE!!! He's ready to baptize anyone now. It is like.....he already baptized 5 people. ;)
I teased Jordan & told him that he did it on purpose. I told him........Yeah, and you were thinking.......and this is for not letting me have the day off.....and this one is for this.......and this one is for that.......But seriously....I was just messing with him.
I am a hard one to get things the first time around. The elders have had to go over things with me again & again & again.....so I figure Heavenly Father wanted to make sure I got this one...again & again & again....just to be sure that I understood it all!!! ;)
Today (7-6-08) was the day of confirmation for our family. The laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
What an emotional day for me. To watch my boys receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost....being baptized yesterday. They have NEVER been baptized before. I always thought that they were to little to be responsible for their own souls. I wanted them to wait until they were at an age where they truly knew right from wrong & they could make decisions for themselves about their eternal life. So, now the boys are baptized and confirmed.
In any religion I have ever been to....they all have this in common....you MUST be baptized to enter into the Kingdom of God. So, now.....my boys may enter. Now my boys are responsible before our Heavenly Father for what they do in life.
I pray that David & I taught them the right ways to go. And now with the church youth group, they will continue their education. I was so overwhelmed to see my boys make such a grown up commitment to follow Jesus.....WOW!!!! I have prayed for this day for many many years!!!!
See......when our boys were born, David & I predestined them for greatness. Names are such an important thing......Joshua's names mean.....Jesus Saves/ Leader of the people.....Brian's names mean......Strong/ Leader of the people......Our boys are going to live a mighty life for our Heavenly Father. They will do wondrous things for Him!!!!
To watch my David receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost......amazing.......This man that I have loved since he was a boy of 16....I was only 14. To see this man take up his cross & follow Jesus....to become the leader of our household....the Spiritual leader....I have prayed this for many many years.....For us to go to church as a family....a church where we can ALL be fed....where we are all comfortable.....not just me....but ALL of us....To watch my man changing over the past few weeks......Our family has always been very loving & very close......but now, it is just a little sweeter.....a little more lovely!!!!! What a wonderful weekend this has been!!!!!
Now for the Johnson family.......Donna, Dr. Johnson, Jamie, Jeff & Jordan........
Thank you for living such an exemplary life in front of me. A life that made me rethink what I was taught of the Mormon faith. Thank you for not shoving religion down my throat. For being loving & gentle with me. For handling me with 'kid gloves' or 'kid love'!!!!! You are such a wonderful inspiration for me. I have watched your family for years. I have thought....this is not for real. Thing is.....it is for real.
What a process to get me & my family where we are today. See, I've been thinking......cuz' you know I am a thinker.....anyway, my brother (Dougie) dying......well, that was a blessing in a weird sort of way. I mean....had he not passed, Donna would not have felt my intense pain & been compassionate to send the elders to me. Had Dougie not passed, I would have no real reason to change my life, other than I wanted more of God, but I figured I could do that on my own. Had Dougie not left me......I wouldn't have had that hole inside of my heart that NOTHING could heal. Had my baby not left me......he & my sisters would not have a chance at eternity with Heavenly Father......now.....Dougie has a chance....he is in Spirit school.....learning all of the ways of the Lord, that he knew before this life, but this life got in the way & he forgot......
Uncle Dougie will be baptized, with his nephew Brian as his proxy........Uncle Dougie & Brian will be together again & we will all live together....FOREVER!!!! So, I know it is weird to say.....but something that has caused my heart to ache & cry everyday for 5 months (to the date tomorrow) has turned out to be a blessing for me & my family.....not just me & my David & Josh & Brian.....but for all of my family.....Dougie & Margaret & Jamie & Dorraine & all of my ancestors.......for all of us. The sacrifice of 1 for the greater good of the whole.
Dougie was tired & he was ready to go to Jesus. I was selfish & wanted him around for a bit longer. Selfish cuz' he was in pain....but because I didn't want to feel pain.....I wanted him here with me. Life had been rough for him & he was ready to be done. Even at the young age of 35, he was ready to go back to his first home....to Jesus, whom he loved dearly.
My sister Margaret.....she is LDS, but like I was, she just doesn't know it yet. She lives most of the words of wisdom already. She has the biggest heart...just like her little bro' Dougie.....she is just a "dry Mormon"!!! :D I picked that lingo up from the elders!!!! It is just a matter of time for her too. Not a long time either!!!!
I love my family so very much. They are everything to me. At the beginning of each school year I tell all of my staff....I am not a 100% employee....I am a wife, a mother, a sister, a daughter, an aunt....FIRST....then I am an employee. My family comes first. If they need me....I am there.
I know that the church was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. That he translated the brass plates and that the book of Mormon & the Bible are the true inspired words of our Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ. I know that the priesthood was restored to Joseph Smith through the laying on of hands & passed down from generation to generation to our modern day Prophet Monson.....I know that Jesus Christ died for me & for my sins & for the sins of the world...I know that my Heavenly Father loves me & that one day I will live with Him & with my family & we will be together forever.....One day we will have our stories of earth to share with all that enter into His kingdom & they will share their stories with me as well. What a party that will be!!!!!!
Be blessed.....until next time.......Cheryl

1 comment:
OH MY Dear Sweet Cheryl you continue to amaze me with your example and your testimony. Keep growing strong Girl.
Post a Comment